For Immediate Release
Dana Plautz, Mrs. P Enterprises
MrsP.com Announces Finalists for 2nd Nationwide Kids’ Writing Contest
“Hosts of contest got a big surprise from boys this year
December 15, 2010 - MrsP.com announced today the names of finalists in its second annual Be a Famous Writer contest, open to kids between the ages of 4-13, while noting a big surprise from boy writers this year.
“We received twice as many stories as last year, and entries came from 26 states, so we reached more than half the country,” said Kathy Kinney, who stars as Mrs. P and who, before co-creating the website, was best known as Mimi on The Drew Carey Show. “And for some reason, we had a lot more entries from boys this year. I don’t know if they got riled up by all the girl finalists last year and decided to show the world they’ve got the right stuff, too. Whatever the reason, it warmed my heart to see so many talented young men turning in such wonderful stories.”
Finalists were selected by a panel of celebrity judges who are themselves some of the world’s most famous writers: #1 best-selling author Meg Cabot (“The Princess Diaries”); Jim Davis, creator of Garfield, the most popular cartoon strip in the world; and Danny Kallis, creator of the Disney Channel's "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody" and “The Suite Life on Deck,” television’s top-rated shows for kids. Mrs. P herself also acted as a judge.
The finalists for age group 4-8 are:
- Mountain Dog by Briana Beebe, age 8, Colorado
- The Magic Scooter by Samuel Stockwell, age 6, Florida
- Gabbie Atwood Age 8, by Willa Lane, age 7, Vermont
- The Peanut Butter and Jelly Hotdog, by Ivy Exum, age 5, Washington
- Looks Don’t Matter, by Aryan Ranjan, age 9, Florida
The finalists for age group 9-13 are:
- Ephemeral Wings, by Lucy Zhang, age 13, New Jersey
- Missing Dr. Cos, by Tyler Spressert, age 9, New Jersey
- Ramona and the Fire! by Kinsey Smith, age 9, Colorado
- The Bird and the Gopher, by Emily Grace Turk, age 9, Tennessee
- Lucky the Bamboo Chopper, by Bill Wang, Age 12, Oregon
On January 15, 2011, the Grand Prize winner from each age group will be announced. The Grand Prize winners will have their stories produced as videos, with Mrs. P reading them aloud from her online Magic Library. Original illustrations by professional artists will help bring the stories to life. The videos will be posted on the web site (www.MrsP.com) for viewers all over the world to watch and enjoy. In addition, each Grand Prize winner will receive an actual bound copy of the story and illustrations as a keepsake to treasure for years to come. Powell’s Books (www.Powells.com), the largest independent bookseller in the world, sponsors the contest and provides gift certificates to all the finalists.