For Immediate Release
Dana Plautz, Mrs. P Enterprises
MrsP.com Announces Finalists for Nationwide Kids’ Writing Contest
“Be a Famous Writer Contest” Honors Young Hemingways and Brontës
December 14, 2009 - MrsP.com announced the names today of the ten young writer finalists in its first “Mrs. P Be a Famous Writer” contest. Stories were submitted by kids age 4-13 from New York to California and represented nearly half the states in the country.
“I had a feeling there were some smart and talented young writers out there in America, but I had no idea there were so many,” said TV star Kathy Kinney, who portrays Mrs. P and is a creator of the website.
Finalists were selected by a panel of celebrity judges that included four top professionals in the writing field: Dave Barry, Pulitzer Prize-winning humorist and author of dozens of bestselling books; Andre Bormanis, writer and producer of the popular fantasy series, Legend of the Seeker and author of Star Trek: Science Logs; Craig Ferguson, host of the CBS Late Late Show and author of the acclaimed novel, Between the Bridge and the River; and Diana Leszczynski, author of Fern Verdant and the Silver Rose, a comic adventure recently selected as a Smithsonian Notable Children’s Book and currently being developed as a motion picture.
The finalists for age group 4-8 are:
- ACTING CAMP -- Dana Chiueh, Age 8, N.Y.
- ARIETTA LEARNS THERE’S NO PLACE LIKE HOME -- Olympia Hatz, Age 7, CA
- PRETTY PRINCESS AND FUNKY FROG -- Gabrielle Fuller, Age 8, NC
- SAMMY GOES TO COLLEGE -- Rebecca Cox, Age 8, MD
- TINA SAYS “KAZAM” -- Anna Thompson, age 8. CA
The finalists for age group 9-13 are:
- GOLDILOCKS AND THE THREE LIARS AND THIEVES -- Erin Smith, Age 9, KS
- LITTLE BEAR AND THE MOON -- Sabrina Manzie, Age 11, FL
- SPATTERED MUD AND CRUSHED PETALS -- Isabella Penola, Age 12, N.Y.
- THE FALL -- Kayley Godek, age 13, NE
- TWO GIGANTIC COOKIES -- Melodie Liu, age 11, CA
On January 15, 2010 the Grand Prize winner from each age group will be announced. The Grand Prize winners will have their stories produced as videos, with Mrs. P reading them aloud from her online Magic Library. Original illustrations by professional artists will help bring the stories to life. The videos will be posted for a limited time on the web site (www.MrsP.com) for viewers all over the world to watch and enjoy. In addition, each winner will receive an actual bound copy of the story and illustrations as a keepsake to treasure for years to come. Powell’s Books (www.Powells.com), the largest independent bookseller in the world, and the sponsor of the contest, will provide the finalists with gift certificates.